Honky Tonk sound

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 23:16:26 -0600

>my idea was to tune one of the trichords DOWN
> slightly. No one has taken me up on the offer yet, so I haven't actually
> done it.
>
> Have any others tried this? How did you do it? Did it work well? Did you
> retune the piano afterwards to normal?
>
> Wally Scherer

I got called to "detune" a piano for a rental agency.  The clients wanted a
honky tonk sound.   I didn't know whether they wanted to hear thumbtacks on
the hammers or an out of tune piano.  I detuned several  notes by knocking
one string of the unison down.  They liked the sound so I did the rest of
the piano.  I tuned them down because I thought it would be easier tuning
them back up.  Besides that is the way strings go out of tune in your
typical honky tonk piano.
---ric