Twangy pianos + stringing

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:43:46 EST

<<" I was
thinking of a full 360 or more applied in an attempt to strengthen the
wire to minimize breakage incidents when stringing.  By any chance,
might you have experimented  with breaking tension of twisted vs.
untwisted strings.  Or, have you at least heard of twisting the string
to increase its breaking tension?
Joe">>

<<"I don,t know were I heard it so it must be the gospel truth but. twisting
strings does increase the breaking tension but it also decreases the
elasticity of the string.
Tony">>

Joe, Tony;
 I can't help but think that "twisting" a string to increase "breaking
tension strength" is rather counter intuitive vis a vis any other formulation
of steel application. Also I think that anything which "decreases the
elasticity of the string" by definition 'lowers' the "breaking tension" not
"increase" it. "common knowledge" notwithstanding.

 I have never tried any experimentation, scientific or otherwise :-), vis a
vis twisted string breaking strength. Still the concept of "twisting" to gain
strength in steel just seems totally wrong to me.
Jim Bryant (FL)