Twangy pianos + stringing

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:56:08 -0500 (EST)

Ron wrote:
<<<<<Over pulling certainly can damage strings, but you do have well
over 1/4 semitone leeway above pitch
tension....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Maybe today we do.  Perhaps
strings are better manufactured than 22 or so years ago when I was a
student. However, I still think over pullng is a bad idea.  If there is
a slight manufacturing anomaly... let's say the wire thins at certain
points..  the more you increase the tension, the more likely you are to
cause the wire to thin there even further. And, as the great Dr. William
Braid White states re false beats, (I'll quote again): "This beating
arises through segments of the strings being unevenly strained, whereby
the corresponding harmonics are thrown out of tune.  Such uneven strain
may be the result of a twist in the wire  during stringing, or of UNEVEN
THICKNESS OF THE WIRE."  (p106) Does it seem logical to ever increase
the tension of the wire any more than absolutely necessary if you are
looking for the best results possible?  Again, some of my "twisted"
logic:  If you won't buy that the likelyhood of false beats developing
in a string increases with the degree of over pulling, will you at least
agree that the less a string has been over pulled, the less likely the
development of false beats?  Also, (please don't make me source this too
<GRIN>) isn't it true that plain wire is drawn accurate to plus or minus
1/10,000 on an inch.  It would seem (to me, at least),  that the higher
the note, the thinner the wire, the more careful we need to be.
<<<<.... if the tension at pitch isn't designed at significantly over
60% of breaking point.>>>>>    Maybe, if.                   <<<<< It's
certainly possible that factory chippers could damage strings by over
pulling, but it's much more likely that the piano's potential was far
more damaged during the design, fabrication and assembly stages than in
the tuning stage. There seems to be a whole bunch of ways during the
production process to mess up what could just as easily have been a nice
piano with a little care and adherence to design specs. That's assuming
of course that the design was workable in the first place. There's more
than a little evidence that this happens with some frequency.>>>>   If I
gave the impression that I thought that stringing methods were the only
POSSIBLE factor involved in creating false beats... well... I shouldn't
have. I actually do know better.  I was simply trying to point out that
this is a possible variable, an that it's very easy to control.
(Especially with today's VTDs.)  Ron, I wish you and yours the very
best.  I'm going back to the holiday.  -Joe