Key repair

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:44:04 -0500

HI Barb-

A strange form of vandalizing, to be sure...

You may have to experiment with a few cleaners/solvents in hopes of
discovering what this mystery substance might be.  IF the stuff is waxy,
I would try some mineral spirits to remove it from the keys.  Mineral
spirits will dissolve wax very readily, and shouldn't hurt the plastic if
not allowed to dwell there long.  Same for the wood part of the keys and
the keybed, after scraping off the bulk of it.

I have certainly never tried it, but I wouldn't think that mineral
spirits would harm the bass strings much either, at least applied
sparingly with a cotton swab just enough to dissolve and remove the wax.
Maybe others will have an opinion based on experience?

I can't imagine what could safely remove it from around the tuning pins,
though.  Any liquid could seep down into the block and contaminate it.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com