Cents=Lbs

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:26:39 -0600

>Hi Ron,
>
>Scared is the word!  How did you derive those numbers?
>
>If I understand rightly, an 8 cent change on an S&S D, from
>440 to 442, would translate to a tension change of about 400
>pounds?  I would have thought more considering how obnoxious
>they are about that.  Interesting!
>
>		Newton

Yep, I just checked one I've got on file at 46,849@440, goes up to
47,276@442. I don't know how much of that touchiness with pitch changes is
plate flexibility, and how much is the soundboard. I'm always struck by how
flexible the plate is in these pianos, but I haven't put one of my boards
in one yet to get a stability  comparison from the board. This tension at
pitch question came up enough, and I was curious enough too, that I set my
spreadsheet up to compute the note frequency from a user defined A-4, and
figure the tensions from that derived frequency. All I have to do at this
point is change the pitch of A-4, and read the updated total tension. Most
of the time, it's not of any real use, but it's been informative and
educational enough times to have been worth the trouble.

Ron N