Unison Width - was stability issue

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:51:28 -0600

Hi ric,
          Vol units= amplitude,  it will relate to db level.  I'll check
with Dean on details if he is prepared to share that imfo.

The brighter or less elastic the hammer the greater the ratio between the
fundamental and the harmonic series.

Power if thought of as ergs per sec. You will note that the sustain time of
the partials increase with the shoulders being less rigid.

The RMS values of the voiced note has dramatically increased.

For a warm sound you should be looking for a slower exponential ramp of the
harmonic series. In the bass, the harmonic amplitude will build to the 4th
partial and then taper off.

A bright cutting sound, will produce a high fundamental, and have less
harmonic development, in the treble. In the bass almost no fundamental, and
an explosive 3rd and 4th partial.

Over voice a hammer, ( shoulders too soft) the tone becomes un focused as
the partials will be as strong as the fundamental.  Needle the crown too
much and the note will become dead and muted.

If you get a chance observe the changes on a RCT pianalyser. and all will
be very clear.

At one time, when teaching voicing classes, I would get all kinds of
spirited debates on hearing high frequency partials.  By doing the
alterations and showing the changes on a spectrum analyser, there is no
discussions.
For years i thought that bright screaming notes were lots of high
harmonics, now I know different.

Hope this helps.
Roger

At 01:45 AM 23/11/00 -0600, you wrote:

>> >     The softer the hammer, the less pronounced the higher partials...so,
>> >tuning irregularties show up less in a unison with a softer hammer. There
>is
>> >a 'wider' acceptance of what is perceived as 'in tune'.
>> >

>> >Dan Reed
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>             It is just the opposite, bright hammer mostly fundamental, and
>> low harmonic development
>

>Wait a minute
>    If I want a soft sound do I want high partials or low fundamental and
>"low harmonic development"  what ever that is. ?  I am taking you mean
>"bright hammer" as a hard hammer.   How does a hard hammer give mostly
>fundamental?
>
>I don't understand the data below.  What is or are   "Vol units"  ?
>---ric.
>

>> An example of A4/A5 before and after voicing.
>>
>> Note A4         Partial      Sec sustain  Vol units    Sec sustain Vol
>units
>>                          1          4.46             11.26         4.46
>>        15.36
>>                          2          4.04               4.26         4.32
>>         13.28
>>                          3          4.32               4.60         4.46

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213
Fax 652-0505