Honky Tonk sound

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:33:41 EST

Wally writes:
>>But my idea was to tune one of the trichords DOWN
>>slightly. No one has taken me up on the offer yet, so I haven't actually
done it.>

Greetings,
     As I understand it, there exist particular relationships between
frequencies  of  impelling force and a resonant period.
    If the frequency of an applied force is higher than the resonant period
of an object, the two will be out of phase with one another.  If the
frequency is lower than the resonant period,  they will be in phase, though
not necessarily in sync.  I treated the altered string of the unison as the
impelling force in regards to the two that were tuned as mathematically close
to one another as possible.  I was hoping to create a slight cancelling
effect within the unison, the aim of which was to produce a rather shrill,
percussive sound.  I think it worked, but perhaps will try the opposite, as
Wally suggested, next time.   Why not, "Out of tune" is out of tune, no?
Which is why I tuned the tonk slightly sharp.
Regards,
Ed Foote