Twangy pianos + stringing

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:11:56 -0500 (EST)

    One more quick thought before beginning the holiday.   Occasionally,
I'm called upon to do a restringing job.  When I do, there are two
things I'm always careful about: 1.)  Never leave a twist in any of the
plain wire strings, and, 2.) I do my best to never pull the strings
above their correct tension.                                     1.)
Twisting plain (or wound) strings increases the amount of tension
they'll take before breaking.  Unfortunately, it also makes plain wire
more likely to generate false beats.  Is there any evidence that unwound
strings were twisted as a matter of policy in order to decrease the
incidence of string breakage in some of the piano factories?
2.)  A string which has been over-tensioned is also more likely to
generate false beats.  Might some of the factories have over-tensioned
their pianos in order to reduce the number of factory tunings and
thereby cut costs?                       Just some theories I've been
nursing for a long time.....   I've often felt that so many inexpensive
pianos had so much potential....that they could have been so much
more..... if only some very simple, very easy procedures were applied
during production.  What good are "the most advanced scaling" and "the
best materials", if the wire is twisted, damaged by over-tensioning, or,
even kinked?                       Happy Thanksgiving!       -Joe