Market for players

Mark Story mark.story@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:45:02 -0800

Last week I checked out a Heinzman upright player. It is in typical
condition for these instruments: needs player rebuild, needs bridge and
action work, etc. I felt frustrated informing the client that it needs more
work than is warranted by the market. She said it was the old family piano
and is reluctant to give it up, but isn't interested in spending the money
to rebuild it. She is looking for some half-way measure to keep it in use.
She wants it refinished, because as it is, it doesn't fit in with the décor
in their new house. Inevitably, the issue of player removal came up. I am
loath to remove these because I hate to contribute to the general demise of
players by turning them into sub-standard pianos. Is there any market for
these players in rebuildable condition? Though they don't really pencil-out
economically, it seems to me that there should be some interest at least
from the hobby ranks.

Mark Story. RPT
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, Washington