tuning pins too close

Thos. D. Carpenter carpthos@televiso.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:19:42 -0700

Dear list,
    The other day I "ran into" a Wurlitzer console which had it`s top 2 =
tuning pins, at the 1st tri-chord unison, too close together.  When I =
put the tuning lever tip on either of the top 2 pins the other tip would =
move.  So, I need to return as soon as possible to tuning a clean =
unison.  As it was, I roughly calculated how much the strings were =
moving once I removed the tuning hammer and moved the pin that amount =
sharp to compensate, but the unison is far from satisfactory.  The owner =
mentioned that no other tuners had ever mentioned this, leaving me to =
wonder what I was missing.  I`ve compared all my APSCO, Schaff, and Hale =
tips and they are a pretty much the same outside dimensions.
     I am anxious to please w/o asking the customer to recall the names =
of my competition.
    My plan, is to take a #2 tip which will not slide as far down the =
pin as the #3`s, which I normally use, and grind down the outside as =
much as necessary to allow it to fit on these pins w/o interfering with =
the  adjacent pin.
    Any suggestions or better ideas?
thanks,=20
Tom Carpenter