Pinblock drilling. Trying again for help!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:02:56 -0500

"What drilling speed do you use on pinblocks?"

I think most references suggest about 800 to 1,200 RPM (sorry, Reblitz not
at my fingertips). I drilled a rotary-cut 7-ply block recently and had the
bit spinning at 600 rpm. SOOOoooooo many variables here. I think these
speeds are a good place to start. I suggest to get a chunk of the block type
you will be using and drill, drill, drill at various speeds, see how it
feels. Pound in a buch of pins and see how they feel. When you get a
combination that gives the desired smooth torque, write it down and do the
whole block that way.

Are you using compressed air to cool the bit? I think this is pretty much a
must. Worked great for me. Good luck.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida