pianotech-digest V2000 #1021

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 19:15:31 -0700

 Didn't anybody go to school?  Plurals don't take apostrophes.  Dog, dogs,
cat, cats, piano, pianos, not piano's.  'It's' means "it is".  "It's (it is)
a nice day";  but, "the piano and its soundboard" (not it's).  Wippen, not
whippen.  Bridle straps, not bridal straps.  Bridal straps might be on the
bride's bra, but not on a horse or in a piano action.  Bridle!  Rusty things
'seize up', not 'cease up'.  'Cease' means to stop, desist.  Things that
affect something cause an effect, not the other way around.  Whack at it, or
give something a whack, not 'wack', which is slang, and short for 'wacko',
meaning crazy, mixed up, as in "wacked."  Using, not useing.  Those from
non-English speaking countries (which the U.S. is rapidly becoming) are
excused.  The foreigners do better with English than the Americans!
    I thought the piano ads in the paper were bad ("antique roller piano" --
a player, I presume.  "mohag" -- they meant mahog(any).  "Baldwin
Accusonic", "Aerosonic" (it flies), "Aquasonic" (plays under water);
everything but Acrosonic.  And the perennial "upright grand" (oh, I know --
incomplete sentence).  Here's another:  "Upright piano.  May need tuning.
$100 ."   What!?  A hundred big ones for a piano and I have to tune it too?
Outrageous!