temperament

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:15:05 -0800

Richard

God, I wish you guys would use plain text...

With the Valotti, which is the first HT I've ever tuned, the extreme speed
of F#-A#, B-D#, C#-F in the temperment is pretty hard to miss.

David I.
   Er..... I dunnnooo Bill, I think perhaps we are underestimating the ear a
bit here. Now I am no expert in HT's and have to date very limited
experience, Vallotti Young being the only other temperament I have heard
besides ET. I find it absolutely no problem to hear the difference between
this and ET. This is the case whether I am "testing" chords and intervals
myself, or whether I am just listening to someone play. Actually listening
to people play on this one example I have it is very easy indeed to hear
that it is not ET. Its very different and quite pleasing really. Cant really
explain in words yet what that difference consists of, except to use terms
like colouring and describing beats in chords with words that sortof relate
a kind of moodish analogy. But I dont think I would have any trouble
recognizing that this particular temperament was not ET when I heard it in a
blind test. Actually I cannot imagine that I would not be able to.
  I dont think I have a particularily exceptional ear, so I can only think
this has to do with training as a piano tech coupled with both a reasonably
good musical ear and a good deal of studying about partials and beats as
they relate to ET and the inharmonicity problem. I doubt seriously that this
latter has much to do with being able to hear the difference, but who knows.
Also, at least 30 % or so of  the students in the UiB hear that there is a
substantial difference quite easily when they sit to play. And after a bit
of expererience playing on this that percentage goes up quite a bit.

  I think really its not so much a matter of what we can hear as it is what
we are used to listening for, intuitively and conciously. Fact is this
really hasnt been an issue for quite some number of years now, so it
shouldnt suprise anyone if there is an apparant lack of ability to discern
the difference between ET and a given HT amoung a substantial percentage of
the population.

  my inexperienced musings.

    Bill Bremmer RPT
    Madison, Wisconsin