oddities puzzler #2

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:28:22 -0600

>An "it" eh... as in a singular thing.  hmmmmm.... But I am afraid I dont quite
>understand the part where you say you lifted the whippens by hand and got the
>same affect. Were you not able to lift them up to where the lost motion was
>eliminated ? Or could you not lift them beyond that point ?
>--
>Richard Brekne

Lifting them by hand produced the same failure to move the hammers as
lifting them with the keys. That's the clue that tells you it ain't the
mounting posts, or anything having to do with anything not self contained
within the action. I'd not only never seen this in a vertical, I'd never
even HEARD of it before. The wippins, jacks, and  flanges are intact. The
hammers, butts, and flanges are intact. The dampers, levers and flanges are
intact, and everything's screwed down securely to the rail, including the
damper lifter bar hinges. The rail is firmly screwed to the brackets too.

Spooky, isn't it?

Ron N