large uprights

Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:55:00 -0600

Stephen Airy,
At 08:22 11/15/2000 -0800, you wrote:

I'll let someone like Del fill in tonal reasons for the bridge placement,
but some of my observations are:

>   Would it be possible, say, if the piano is 60" tall and 60" wide, to
> have a 66 to 68" A1 string in such a piano?

My personal piano is a 58 1/2" Nittinger "Upright Concert Grand", built
sometime near the last turn of a century.  It's A1 length is 50 1/4" or
about an inch longer than a '60s Baldwin "R".

Longer strings would necessitate a greater angle. A greater angle could
cause one of our favorite spinet (or any very small piano) idiotsyncracies
- the mismatch between hammer angle and string angle which causes hammers
to strike strings of neighboring notes.  Of course, you could carve the
hammers to resemble ones you find in squares...

 > Considering, for example, a 37" high 57" wide spinet, I don't think it
would be impossible to >have strings approaching 54 - 57", would it?  They
are probably only 40" in most spinets these >days.

I measured:
Baldwin 40"  at 44".
Steinway46"     43.5"
Kimball 43"     39.5"
just for fun
Gulbransen 4'6" - 38.5"
Draw your own conclusions.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Thanksgiving: The day all over America that families sit down
to dinner at the same moment: halftime.