temperament

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:53:52 -0600

Mr. Moody wrote:

"Or, if no one can tell by
listening, what difference does it make what temp is used?"

Mr. Leifsson writes:

>We can tell the difference, but I doubt anyone that doesn´t KNOW the
>difference can put together a picture of the tuning except for the notion
>of "some fast tenths, slow thirds" etc. etc.

My point is  one cannot tell the difference by  listening to a piece being
played. If there were such people they
would be volunteering by the dozens to assist Don Rose in identifying the
temperament on an old recording.  No one has demonstrated they can tell a
particular piano is not tuned to ET.  It has been pointed out that  in a
seminar of piano tuners, not one realized a piano was tuned different from
ET.  For those who might be skeptical simply try a blind test.

>Ziz iz ol obot ze Zubconziusnez

Is what the emperor's taylors said,  or do you mean its only
subliminal?    ---ric