temperament

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 06:02:12 EST

 Hi All,

> I am hoping to find out what temperament might have been used by a Mr.
> Joubert for tuning for Ignacy Jan Paderewski.

Greetings,
    This will be difficult.  The period  of 1880-1910 seems to be a
transitional one in temperament development.  It could have been anywhere
between a Young and ET.  I would suspect that it was a slightly biased ET,
perhaps much like the Broadwood tunings that Jorgensen posits.
   It would be very interesting to have two pianos, side by side, one tuned
in ET and the other in something like the "Victorian" styles.  Then ask
faculty to play the same piece on both  and tell you which tuning they
thought best expressed the writing.  (Don't tell anybody which is which!)
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
Nashville, Tn.