hard tuning Young Chang..reprise

bhebert BHebert@compuserve.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:50:28 -0500

I haven't had much luck with WD-40.  Protec might be what I am looking for,
but I suspect it is only silicon oil in a carrier and I dread getting that
on a block.  At least Liquid Wrench might evaporate.

I tend to use Liquid Wrench as a CYA measure, like checking for plate and
back cracks before a pitch raise.  That way I can tell the judge I did my
best (not that I have ever had a problem with a PR).

I hate giving my lengthy disclaimer (your piano could explode and it ain't
my fault) before every PR, does everyone/anyone else do that?

B. Hebert

Message text written by INTERNET:pianotech@ptg.org
>Matt, Blaine;
 One of the advantages of protec is that it does 'not' migrate as greatly
as
does 3in1, Liquid Wrench, or WD-40.  In any case putting WD-40 on any part
around the action or pins/strings is 'probably' not a good idea. As a side
benefit Protek does 'not' stain as do two of the other lubricants
mentioned.
In addition Protek is 'supposed' to "bond" to the surfaces it is applied to

and I have found that it really takes superflurous abundance greater than a

bountiful sufficiency :-) to get it to spread very far. In other words
being
sloppy putting it on.

  As with most 'stuff' we use, just because a little is 'good' don means
dat
mo is better. But give it a try I think you will like what results you
get........... Take paper toweling with you to clean up any mess and kinda
soak up any excess laying around.
Jim Bryant (FL)
<

Blaine Hebert