Lead filing (was bumps in keys)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:20:17 EST

 <<"why not sand or file them?  I was actually taught to do that.
I mean, if you just wear gloves and a mask the lead shouldn t be dangerous.">>

Kristinn;

  Hand filing should not be a problem although I would do it over paper that
could be discarded after the work was finished. A better, and safer, way to
address this problem is to use a 'sharp' big bladed chisel, or knife, and
trim off the portions you want to remove. Lead cuts/trims easily, won't harm
the chisel and of course the wood  would be cut right along with the lead.
this method also has the added beifit or creating very little if any dust.
 Be sure and trim 'with' the grain and not against, cause I don't want you to
fuss at me for splitting keys. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)