jumping pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 13:03:52 -0600

>Not in a Baldwin!  Is it the multi-laminated pinblock that makes rendering
>of the Baldwin pin such a pain?
>
>David I.

Seems to be, but some of Baldwin pins get less jumpy with time too. When
installing a high density pinblock (I use Delignit, but Falconwood users
have verified this too), The pins are sometimes a little snappy through the
first chipping and the next two tunings. By the time the piano leaves the
shop, the pin movement smoothes out. I think it's a matter of turning the
pins enough to fill up the rough cut threads with wood.

That's the ideal situation, but the wrong contaminant on the pin will make
it jumpy forever. Rosin, talc, chalk, or varnish - anything that pre-fills
the threads somewhat, works fine. So will a clean pin, but it won't turn as
smoothly as soon after installation. The problem with the clean pin is how
it's handled by grubby fingers during installation. Any hand lotion, sweat,
nose grease (or skin oils from any other place the stringer may scratch
during the course...), or lunch residue will make the pin much more snappy,
and less likely to smooth out with time. The denser the block, the less
forgiving it is of contamination, and the only block I know of that's
denser than Baldwin's was in some of the old Wurlitzers.

Anyway, that's how my experience goes.

Ron N