a junky piano

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:23:57 -0600

>I'd like to clear something:  When I said "restore", I
>used the wrong word.  I should have said "repair" or
>"rebuild" -- I only am wondering if it would be
>possible to get it working and in tune, even if it
>doesn't work as well as a new piano.

I understood what you meant, which is why I said "no, but it can probably
be rebuilt" (or something to that effect). There are probably something
like 47,871 (or maybe 2) possible levels of improvement ranging from
indistinguishably less bad, to beyond all reasonable expectations, possible
with something like this. It comes down to what you have to work with, the
budget, specified adherence to original specs, the final expectation(s),
and the knowledge, skill, and credibility of the shop that does the work.
The perception of the end result depends as much, or more,  on the
purported and/or accepted magical potential of the manufacturer's name and
similarly evaluated capabilities of the rebuilder as it does on the
objective evaluation of the end result. In other words, a "Revered" piano,
rebuilt by a "Name", will probably be considered to be better then a
"Generic" piano rebuilt by "Phred's Phiano Shoph", regardless of the
performance level of the outcome. That being the case, you draws your line,
and you takes your shot. Where do you want to go today?

Regards,
Ron N