hard tuning Young Chang..reprise

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:06:32 EST

several months ago the discussion was on "hard tuning" pianos and the
efficacy of using protec or some other type of "lubrication". During this
thread I spoke of a model G-213 YC which I said was the hardest to tune piano
I could remember having to tune.  At the time I said that when I tuned it
next I would report the results of my efforts using 'protec'.

 I tuned this thingee yesterday but before I tuned it I did the following:
a. I cleaned the web area of all dust/debris.
b. I wiped down the capo bars/strings using a cloth and brush.
c. I used a small artist brush and applied 'protec' to the strings in front
of, and behind the capo bars.
d. Using the brush I applied 'protec' to the counter bearing felts between
pin and capo bars.
e. I took my cloth and wiped up all excess 'protec' on strings and felts.

Results were nothing short of amazing! What had been a verrrry disturbing
instrument to tune had turned into a very amenable thingee.  While I still
would not place this on the list of favorite tuning instruments, it is no
longer on the 'two aspirin' list! :-)  It had gone from notes not responding
to overpull or tension relief, even on very hard setting strikes, to one
which responded readily to movement of the pin. It went from not exibiting
'any' change of pitch when a pin was flexed back and forth to mirroring some
very 'slight' manipulation of the pins.
And that is "the rest of the story". :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)