Election Day Puzzla

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 17:26:02 -0800

Blaine, Tom and Greg,

Thanks for your replies. I returned to the piano today with your
thoughts in mind. I bent the bridle wire to give it some slack, I pulled
the damper away from the string to remove the possibility of a dug out
felt. I removed the hammer to feel the surface of the butt leather. I
could not detect anything about this note that was any different than
its neighbors. But still the jack catches when the hammer is pushed
about half way to the string.

I just could not leave without "fixing" the problem so I shortened the
stroke of the soft pedal linkage so that the hammer is not put in this
position that "causes" the problem. For the time being, though, the real
problem will have to remain a mystery.

Tom Cole