jumping pins

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:03:03 EST

In a message dated 11/9/00 4:45:48 PM Central Standard Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

<< Do jumping tuning pins ever cure themselves over time?

 This is the situation.  In March 1981 (yeah, you read it right) I tuned
 a Wurlitzer spinet or console in which the tuning pins jumped so badly
 that I never wanted to see it again.  The piano was less than ten years
 old, and I suggested the owners contact the company to see if it was
 covered by guarantee.  They never did, and I never went back.

 Now the adult daughter called me today and would take the piano if it is
 tunable.  How would I know?  I haven't seen it in 19 years, and at that
 time I was just getting started in the business.  I told her I would ask
 all of you.  So, back to the first question, or any other input that
 might be helpful.  Thanks.

 Regards,
 Clyde Hollinger >>

They might be better now, but only if the piano has been tuned during this
time. If not, they might still be a bit jumpy.

But why don't you set up the appoint any way, for two reasons. One, maybe
they did get less jumpy. Or two, maybe you remembered them as being more
jumpy than they really were, because you had just started tuning, and you
weren't used to this kind of experience.

Willem