Upright Shank Replacement

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:28:15 EST

In a message dated 11/5/00 11:26:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tcole@cruzio.com writes:

<< We recently discussed the difficulty of cedar shank replacement. Since I
 have an old action on the bench for "renovation", I wondered how I could
 effectively extract the the top 16 shanks without the usual high failure
 rate I've experienced with this method.

 After clipping off the old shanks and belt sanding the cedar flush with
 the top of the butts, I proceeded to bore pilot holes, a little smaller
 this time for a tighter fit with the extracting screw. I used a #36
 drill for #8 x 1-1/4" "grabber" screws (self-drilling, hardened steel
 with the tips ground off). Assuming the original hole depth to be 5/8",
 I set the drill press stop accordingly and jigged my block vise to hold
 each butt such that the back stop dowel was horizontal.

 The holes all drilled, I set the butts upright on the bench and began
 filling the holes with water + surfactant (wallpaper paste remover works
 well), going back over the lot of them several times as the mix soaked in.

 After soaking at least 20 minutes, I started the extraction process and
 was surprised to get a 100% result. Some of them even came out without
 the usual heat-the-screw-with-a-match step. As I bottomed the screws in
 the pilot holes, a few of the shanks started to turn and could be easily
extracted.

 The two reasons that I've had trouble with cedar shanks in the past, I
 believe, is that the pilot holes were too big, permitting the screws to
 pull out with only a few slivers; and I wasn't waiting long enough for
 the water to penetrate well into the glue joint.

 Tom Cole

Bill Spurlock has an excellent method for extracting shanks using the drill
press. If you contact him and ask for the upright hammer replacement data
sheets, he will send it to you. He makes his $$$ by selling the tools that
make your life a lot easier.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR