Upright Shank Replacement

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 12:25:10 -0200

Hi,

I never had consistent results with heated screw shank extraction, nor
much with the old Hale jig or the shank vise/extraction tool
combination, and so build jigs for the job.

Basically these hold butts and have a drilling guide, where I saw a
piece of Delignit scrap to have three edges square - top, side and
bottom, slot the side and shim it so that a butt fits square and
vertically in the slot and flush to the top of the block, with a little
friction to keep it in place: so there would be shims above and below
the spring bearing bump, and one at the base of the butt, maybe a couple
for the thinned upper portion, all inside the slot and not sticking out
top or bottom.

Pull a single shank using an ordinary technique for set up, saw and trim
(with a sharp chisel) the rest flush. Using the sample, find the
appropriate drill bit, and drill through a thickish sheet of hard
plastic (a more permanent guide would have a threaded brass bushing
instead of the bare plastic hole), then use the bit to center the guide
over the sample butt installed in the holder base, trim the sheet and
drill for a couple screws.

With no risk of contamination, these work fast, and I've shimmed them
with masking tape for slightly undersize sets.

Clark