enter, RIPPEN soundboards

ruud billenkamp rudyard@EURONET.NL
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:03:34 +0100

> Kristinn wrote;

> we imported them for many years, all the way up to '89.
> Are you responsible for them?  Well, congratulations!

Maybe I glued the Hammers or the Dampers!
Did you find out the special construction of the soundboard?

It's glued at three sides on the perimeter, the bottom side is free to move
with the vibrations of the strings. In the Rippen-opinion it gives the
basssound an extra dimension.
A technical teacher told me that Erard was the first builder using this idea
in the 19th era.

Rippen used laminated soundboard's 3x3 mm ( OK Ok; thats 3x .1181 Inch), the
midpart is turned 45º to 90º in opposite to the outside parts. The loose
bottom of the the soundboard is posible by using a negative soundboardcrown.
The soundboard of a Rippen is build and glued-in totally flat.

In my opinion the sound of the bass is indeed a deep, GRR tone, but it's not
clear. The vibration is not marked with an end. A clear note has a vibration
between 2 solid points, the Rippen note has a vibration between 1 solid and
1 moving point. It sounds a bit misty. CAPICE?

Did I bore anyone?
Greetings and good work next week,
Rudyard, Rotterdam, Holland