Stanwood Precision Touch (was Re: System)

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 09:44:52 -0500

At 12:28 PM -0600 11/3/00, N Luehrmann wrote:
>So the Stanwood Precision TouchDesign is really only meant for
>pianos that can't be properly regulated?

This question deserves a good answer. A proper mechanical regulation
of an action, what I call "Button Turning" can be done on just about
any action. That is, if you are willing not to hold a piano
manufacturer to their stated blow and dip specs, and of course if the
action rail are not so horribly mislocated as to block the jack's
motion in the cradle.

But a proper mechanical has no effect on a horrible mismatch of SW
and Strike Balance Ratio. We shouldn't expect it to. It is in a
completely different, separate realm from the new Metrology, which
tracks how the weight of action parts is modulated by the actions
leverage.

At 8:38 AM +0200 11/4/00, Brian Lawson wrote:
>For someone not well versed in maths but competant with a computer
>spreadsheet, what is meant by "quadratic solver to derive the deviations and
>plug those  values into a spread sheet and that produces a set of hammer
>and later key weights".

It's essentially and algebraic procedure. Although some of us use
statistical curve fitting in fancier programs to arrive pretty
curves, the equivalent effect can be had by visually picking points
with which to anchor a segmented line and "connecting the dots"
mathematically.

David Stanwood of course is years ahead of us in his experience with this.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math