Terms

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:15:18 -0600

> Has anyone on the list ever truly done a museum quality "restoration" I'd be
>willing to bet not......course it wouldn't be the first time I have been
>wrong! :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Should it ever come to pass that anyone would ever come to me looking for
such a thing, I'd have to pass too. Until such a time comes that someone
invents that working time machine, or a single application deification
juice for the restorer, who on the planet could realistically claim to be
able to restore anything except a misguided faith in the unlikely-to
downright impossible, and then only by prestidigitational misdirection and
outright damn lies?

It might be fixed, repaired, improved, enhanced, modified, enabled,
evolutionarily advanced, patched, boosted, buffed, spiffed, renovated,
remodeled, rebuilt, re engineered, resurrected, resomethingorothered,
redesigned, reconstituted, replaced altogether, whipped into shape,
reconditioned, serviced, maintained, dealt with, adjusted, administered to,
rendered less bad, goodified, sanctified, canonized, simonized, or improved
within an inch of it's life - but it ain't been restored, no way. Aging and
accumulated abuse isn't reversible no matter that the total bill, the
advertising copy, or the number of luncheons one may be invited to speak
at, or enthusiast's clubs one might be president of.

Being a fan of nomenclature, logic, and the good sense I generally exhibit
so little of on a daily basis, I say we henceforth ban the use of
"restored" altogether as an unachievable condition.

Hands?

Ron N