advice on action/hammers

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 08:32:20 -0500

Come on guys, and gals, let's not get our shorts in a bunch
over a matter of opinion.  Bob is a nice guy and Anteres is
a nice guy as well and getting into a font slinging match
isn't going to help the less knowledgeable grow in their
skills and know how.

In providing our customer, museum or a six year old, our
object should be to provide the best we can with the best of
our skills and the best of our knowledge.  If we don't know
something of significance we come here to learn.

Let's not spoil that our hurts anothers feelings over
something of not great significance.  Rebuilding and
restoring have been defined by PTG to help sort out the
differences.  I just cannot remember where the definitions
are kept.   I think I stored that data in my lower left leg.

Our jobs are limited by the instrument, it's condition, our
goals, the owner's goals the funds available and so many
other factors that precise definitions are near impossible
so a restoration or a rebuild will be different for each
piano.

Either way we must aim for quality and durability.  Elements
of any job that has a shorter life than others then
replacement is in order, provided parts are available.

> A restoration does not, in musium work, include replacing any thing!

In an ideal situation this is true but with older
instruments this is not possible so the objective is to
replace with exact copies and historically accurate
replication.

So please everyone, we need all the people we can get so we
can pick their brains.

Love each and everyone of you.

		Newton