rebuild / restore concept (Re: advice on action/hammers)

Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:16:11 +0100

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> >...Setting standards, goals, and ideals is one thing,
> >being aware of our human fraility is another,
> >and attempting to take both into consideration a third...
> >Richard Brekne...
>
> There it is, right there.  You want to do all three things at the same
> time.  I see them as three separate activities, each capable of standing on
> their own merit, or any combination thereof.  Everyone chooses/decides
> which is worthy of exercising every single moment in their life.

I see them as inseperable interelating functions of, in this case,
communication in general. But we aggree that one should strive to do all three
and as best as possible balance them against each other.

> In regards to this particular thread then, the human fraility issue, and
> the attempt to merge standards, goals, and ideals with it, never entered my
> mind as relevant in supporting the differences of rebuilding and restoring.
> And it still doesn't.

That perhaps is because you view them as seperate things, where as I cant see
how it is possible to seperate them at all. Still, I suppose when it all comes
down to it... we probably aggree much more on this then we disaggree. Wheres
that Glenmorange bottle now ?

> http://www.mozartpiano.com/restor.html

If you read this article closely enough you will even here find the usage of
the word "restore" in a couple different contexts.

"Replacement materials, including hammers, dampers, action parts, and even
suitable strings are usually not available. In the case of very early pianos
which do not incorporate cast-iron frames, and often have hammers made of
laminated leather, both the restorer of original instruments and the
replica builder face considerable challenges in their pioneering attempts to
duplicate the craftsmanship and the materials of the original builders"

This paragraph could easily be read as to say something different then....

"An antique instrument is reduced in importance in direct proportion to the
number of original parts which have been removed. One of the definitions of the
noun "restoration" is "to put back into nearly or quite the original form."

Which has a particularily vauge definition open to all kinds of interpretation.
In the first case one opens for the possibility of replacement parts... if such
are availiable... clearly replacement of any part stands in direct opposition
to the second statements statement about origional parts.

Keith... you and I will both read this article, and in our case probably aggree
on basic content. But I for one see easily enough how this article could be
taken in several different dirrections... and not neccessarily compatible ones.
You can recognize that, or you can not...thats up to you.

> >From another thread - Sounds good to Me.
> "... I believe firmly that where I do draw the line, I should stand for
> what I believe in..."
> Richard Brekne, 10/13/00

Grin... completely different context Keith. But I will stand by those words.
Might add tho that these words do not mean we should not keep our minds, ears
and eyes open for things that might influence our beliefs.

> Obviously, the line has been drawn.

whats your point.... whats your point ??

> Thank you for your comments.

Likewise I am sure.

--
Richard Brekne