Pianodisc vs QRS pianomation

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:53:37 -0700

> Most people who buy these systems simply want to hear their pianos playing.
> I don't think the off-the-shelf versus proprietary electronic parts really
> makes a difference to them.  If they really want the nuances of recording
> and fancy playback, they can buy a Disklavier!

IMHO, If I'm going to spend a heap of money on a system and put all the effort
and expense into installing it I'm going to buy the best system I can get for a
few dollars more.  Not only because it will perform better but also because of
the enhanced value of the instrument.

> However, it still remains a fact that only a PianoDisc dealer can supply
> parts.  You have to be a dealer to get the system in the first place. Now
> that independent technicians are out of this loop they will know longer have
> any interest in servicing a system they can't get parts for!

PianoDisc has this policy for two reasons.  First it allows fair competition
among dealers so that they won't be cutting each other's throats.  This is no
different then piano manufacturers limiting certain dealers in any given area
to sell a particular brand.  It keeps prices stable and keeps PianoDisc out of
any legal disputes between dealers.  Secondly, it gives PianoDisc control over
who installs and services their product.  Unlike PDS, by QRS letting just any
tech install their system they have no real direct link to quality control.
There are simply too many "teknishuns" out there doing bad work.  This leads to
disputes over warranty work and unhappy customers.  By appointing specific
dealers to sell and install the system PianoDisc knows that a factory trained
tech is doing the installation and they can confidently stand behind the
warranty  This is important for both their system and the piano manufacturer in
which the system is being installed.

> That means
> that by referring their customers to a PD system, they will also have to
> relinquish the servicing of the instrument.

Not so. Any PDS certified tech can service the instrument without risk of
voiding the warranty.  It does not have to be the same tech or dealer who sold
the instrument.  You DO NOT have to go through the dealer to purchase parts.
This is for the protection of PDS as much as for the consumer.  It again comes
down to quality control of the product and reinforces PianoDisc's dedication
toward a quality product.

> having to lift the action over the solenoids to get the
> action back into a piano doesn't bother some people, but it does bother me.

This is really no big deal after you have learned the technique and have done
it a few times.  Pushing all the keys down with the key slip when sliding in
the action does the trick quite nicely.  A small price to pay for a better
system.  If the piano is not abused and it is of decent quality the action
really shouldn't have to be removed very often anyway, perhaps only once every
few years.

> Would you believe, that here in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. area, I don't
> know who to recommend to service a PD system.  All the techs who used to do
> installations have stopped and no longer service systems that move in from
> other parts of the country.  If anyone is lurking, please let me who to
> recommend to the MANY folks who need service on their PianoDisc systems.

My friend you are looking at this completely backwards, this sounds like a huge
money making opportunity!  Go get the certification, (which is free),  and
start making money!!!  ($$$$ chaching! $$$$).  If you can get a dealer
contract, (which it sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult), you could be
raking in the big bucks!  I enhance my annual income VERY handsomely doing PDS
work!  Run like the wind before someone else does!  These systems are not very
difficult once you understand them and I'm sure PDS would be delighted to have
a new tech in your area!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV