Rim Construction

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:43:33 -0600

Hi Patrick,
                The Poplar outer rim started in the early- mid 80's, very
few were made with poplar inner rims.
SD10's and SF10's changed back to 100% maple last year, The M,R, & L this
year, and are now know as M1, R1, & L1. The other big change is notching
the ribs. Not before time. <G>
Roger

At 03:21 PM 31/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>  >(Baldwin's smaller traditional grands -- the M, R and L -- used maple for
>>>generations.  Then they were switched to poplar, but only briefly.  Sustain
>>>dropped so significantly that the inner rim was switched back to maple, but
>>>still with a poplar outer rim.  I understand the outer rim is now also once
>>  >again maple.)
>>>
>Del, Roger, et al:
>What are the years of the "poplar period?" It would help to know when
>evaluating pianos (especially for the folks who call for over the
>phone advice about the slightly used piano that's only X years old).
>
>Patrick Draine

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213