Tight pinblocks

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 30 May 2000 19:38:16 -0700

That can also happen when your on the wrong tuning pin...;-/

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Doug Garman
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 6:04 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Tight pinblocks

I recently tuned an Young Chang U-116S upright.  The owners said they bought
it in Kansas in 1991 and that it had never been tuned other than shortly
after it was delivered.  I had to pull it up slightly to pitch, enough to
require turning the pins, but I did not actually go through a pitch raise
procedure.

The pins were the tightest I've ever had the "pleasure" of turning.  I truly
had no feel for string tension.  I could twist the pin quite a bit before it
would jump in the wood.  You can imagine my surprise when with a loud "bang"
and plenty of sparks one of the wound strings on E3 broke at the becket.

I've only been doing this business part-time for about seven years, so
there's plenty I haven't seen.  My right arm was tired when I finally
finished.

Doug Garman, Associate Member
Granbury, TX
dgarman@granbury.com