Plastic elbows

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 15:03:20 -0600

Bruce:  Go to K Mart or an equivalent and purchase a low (25-30) wattage
soldering pencil.  The pencil tip is narrow enough to fit into the wippen
and will literally melt away whatever plastic you have been unable to
successfully break from the pins.  ( A little clean up may be necessary
after doing this in terms of tiny pieces of plastic remaining on the
pins, but no big deal.  I've found this a lot safer than trying to break
the ones that are still "elastic".  And, (knock on wood) haven't broken a
wippen yet using it.  Just don't burn your name in the piano. :-)

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

On Sun, 28 May 2000 12:26:49 EDT Pianogreig@AOL.COM writes:
> Hasn't anyone else come across the gummy plastic broken elbows which
> can't be
> cut out of the wippen slot?  I've found some in nearly all jobs I've
> done &
> still remember my first encounter with same.  It did give me an
> opportunity
> to use up a lot of the Penistan repair clips I had on hand to repair
> the
> wippen sticker slots.
>
> After that experience I've only used the complete wood elbow
> replacement
> involving action removal and action cradle.  If it has plastic
> wippen flanges
> they can be replaced at the same time.  If not plastic then they can
> be
> tightened;  damper felts & hammers can also be filed more easily
> with the
> action out.
>
> Bruce

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!