Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 May 2000 15:03:40 EDT

Sorry about the previous premature empty post - must have clicked twice.

About the loose tuning pin: if it hasn't already been tapped, this is often
the first step temporary solution which can be done on the spot so you can
proceed with the tuning.  I find that shimming the hole with sandpaper is
very effective & you can also do it on the spot. I use 4 thin strips of fine
sandpaper cut long enough so you can bend them over on top to prevent them
being dragged into the hole, then tear off the excess afterwards.  Place the
grit against the wood.   I prefer this approach because I don't carry a
supply of different sizes of tuning pins with me.  I also feel that
eventually the piano will have to be completely restrung, so why force one or
two oversize pins in now which will also look different & probably require
being replaced with even larger ones during the complete job.

Either way be careful with the wire as sometimes the becket or coil will
break during the process.

Bruce