humidity problem - will this fix it?

Gina Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 13:53:50 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <BobDavis88@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: humidity problem - will this fix it?

> In a message dated 05/27/2000 5:26:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> RptBob1@AOL.COM writes:

>Further, Protek will make a difference, but the
> difference can last as little as a few days in some actions.
> Bob Davis

Definitely do agree with Bob. I have yet to see a verdigris problem not
return, no matter what I used to treat. Time factor does vary, but verdigris
always returns.

Case in point. One of my most cherished customers is 92, still teaching, one
marvelous lady in the true genteel sense. I started servicing her c.1936 S&S
M (that her husband gave her as a wedding present) about 9 years ago,
treating the worst individual flanges one at a time. About 7 years ago, I
treated the entire action. During this course of time, I used all the
solutions Bob mentioned; I even rebushed some of the worse ones. Each time I
treated, I gave no guarantees about how long it would last and, obviously,
some didn't last from one tuning to the next.

Six years ago, we rebuilt the piano, all except refinishing. (No need since
the case looked brand new - true!) But that's another story.

Gina