birdcage pianos

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 27 May 2000 00:27:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Patricia Neely <pneely@thegrid.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 5:16 PM
Subject: birdcage pianos

> List
>
> I'm on the look out for English piano I usually ask if it is English , I
> didnt know that some German pianos were birdcage pianos too ,seeing I
> ussually have to travel much of the time over 50 miles one way  and would
> not like to get there and find out its a birdcage, What are some of the
ways
> I can be sure if it is?  Thank you Patricia  Associate Mem.

Listen to it over the phone. The sound is unmistakable.  If it doesn't sound
like a birdcage and it turns out to be one it might be tunable.  The only
problem with that is it won't sound much better after you are through.
Just warn the client, and let them make the decision to pay extra for not
much improvement.  Or perhaps it is worth it to them to have you identify it
at least, and for that you don't have to charge as much as a tuning, which
come to think of it is the one arrangement I would make in having anything
to do with birdcages, or being paid to haul it to the dump. ---ric