humidity problem - will this fix it?

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 May 2000 22:35:53 EDT

Clyde - sounds like a good candidate for verdigris in the hammer flanges
(possibly also in the jacks & wippen flanges).  Protek works really great,
but might require two applications.  Could also be key bushings (though at
that age they should be well eased through use, unless it has never been used
much).

Except in climates that are always humid, I would not install a heat bar
without the complete Dampp Chaser system and although I've seen heat rods in
the action cavity, it seems to me to be much too close to the pinblock, which
doesn't need any help drying out.  I also would not put one under the keybed
or anywhere else that would dry out wood.  I don't know if studies have been
done on how much continour heat it takes to damage wood.  This has caused me
some concern with the new higher wattage heat rods being clipped to support
beams, although the newer attachment clips now provide more space between rod
& wood.

It is tough dealing with shrewd little old ladies, so it might be advisable
to clearly state your terms & fees on the phone before going there again in
person.  Is she in obvious financial straits or just a "tough old broad"?

Good luck.

Bruce