what is this corrosion?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 May 2000 05:58:25 EDT

<< I have been asked to give a second

opinion in this case, but I have never seen anything like it.  How about you

guys?

Hi Carol,
    The piano could easily be a write-off.  The first tech was close to
correct in his assessment, and I would have thought the decision to use the
second tech's recommendation was in error.  A good course of action would be
to say the piano will always be a compromised instrument, and there is no
guarentee of anything done to repair it.  Then,  if the work needs you and
you need the work, and feel like it will be a job that reflects well on you,
by all means, do whatever it needs.  (you can tune rusty strings, anyhow but
don't be surprised if the pinblock fails at year 6 or so.  Or if the action
freezes up next winter.......)
Regards,
Ed Foote