Aftertouch Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 22:02:35 -0400

OK grand regulation techies, here you go! Two related questions about
checking and aftertouch.

I just did a full regulation on my Boston GP178 (5' 10" grand). I set blow
dist. @ 1-3/4", let-off as close as possible (about 1/32"), and drop (as
recommended by Steinway) as short as possible - about 1/16" or maybe a tad
more - but less than 1/8". I have my checking up nice and high - about 3/8"
over the treble & up, about 7/16" in tenor, and about 1/2" in bass. Key dip
is about 0.45".

Out of the piano, all hammers check on even the softest blow (I roughed-up
the tails a tad). When I put the piano in the instrument, I often get a few
hammers that will not check on a light blow. And of course, because I have
the let-off so close and drop so little, the hammer rises up and
blocks/bobbles on the string when pressing the key through aftertouch.

Question #1: Should ALL hammers ALWAYS go into check, even on a very, very
LIGHT BLOW?

If answer to Question #1 is yes, then Question #2 is: Why do all hammers
check out of the piano but not when action is in piano (keep in mind, I am
talking about very soft blows).

If answer to Question #1 is no, then Question #2 is: If it is normal for
hammers to occassionally not check on a very soft blow, when let-off and
drop are real small, is it really feasable to make aftertouch the necessary
10 thousandths of an inch (or there abouts - perhaps even less). Because if
aftertouch is any greater, the hammer will simply rise up into the string
and mute it in a very nasty manner. I like alot of aftertouch - generally in
the ballpark of 50 thousandths or so. I can't do that unless I am sure that
all hammers will check every time a key is struck - even when struck VERY
LIGHTLY.

Any good input for me?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service