last minute job

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 19:56:58 PDT

One of the things I like best about being a floor tuner, are the last minute
jobs I am asked to perform, like today. (IF you haven't gathered, I'm being
sarcastic, ha ha.) I was asked to, "make it sound great, it's going out
tomorrow". The "it" the manager was referring to was a pretty old "Strauss &
Sons" Spinet. It was grossly out of tune, plate bolts were so loose they
were barely holding the plate on, the right front leg was just as loose.
Sticking keys galore, tinny, harsh sound in tenor & treble, and as "tubby"
as it gets in the bass. sound like a challenge? Oh, did I mention a broken
string at B6? This was my biggest problem, because I was not looking forward
to disconnecting and tying up ALL the stickers in order to remove the
action, so I made the decision to replace the broken string with the action
IN! Thanks goodness for my Forceps, which I used to hold the wire on the
hitch pin. Thanks to my thin hands, I was able to carefully guide the wire
behind the action, and through the bridge pins, up through the pressure bar
and so on. It was NOT fun, but was do-able. Total time for entire job: 1
hour, 45 min.

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG