Midnight Puzzler

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 May 2000 16:51:30 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2000 4:04:52 PM, Ron N. wrote:

<<"(1) Big ol' "L" of a fallboard going back too far (missing buttons or other
backstop), and hitting fronts of key buttons?????">>
or
(2) Evil spirits.">>

Well Ron is close enough for horse shoes......although not *exactly* correct
:-)
First "Southern Comfort" ain't no "evil spirit"!

 When the fallboard was in the full open position it did not 'hit' the key
buttons but...as most keys were played the button would rock forward and
wedge, or click, against the back lip of the "big ole L" on the fallboard.
This 'sticking was the result of something else however and there is no
stopblock in the action cavity for the fallboard. Instead as Ron suggested
there are two rubber buttons on the stretcher. These rubber buttons had
deteriorated to the point of flattening out and allowed the fallboard to set
back/down farther toward the key buttons thus allowing said buttons to wedge
occasionally and causing most of the keys to 'click' by hitting the back edge
of the fallboard when being played.............

 Remedy was to replace the stretcher buttons with new full size
buttons...problem solved. I also brought the action to the shop and sanded
each button front into a new shape which allows much more clearance and will
preclude a reoccurrence of this problem as the new rubber buttons inevitably
flatten out. Music Minister is happy, I'm happy, and the pinnaner plays with
all its keys! :-)
BUUUT it sure made me feel silly cause I had tried almost everything that has
been mentioned here..................
Jim Bryant (FL)