Maximum tension

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 18:47:03 -0400

> The strings all break at the same pitch.
> Execpt # 12 and below and #22 and above.

I accept that 12.5 to 21.5.  The others are not that
important anyway.

The point of this is that if the speaking length is too long
for a given pitch  changing the wire size will not change at
which pitch the string breaks.

A case in point; I took the string lengths from a piano for
rescaling before the [piano was dismantled.  After new
block, new board the strings started breaking in the high
treble.  Taking new measurement I discovered the rebuilder
(not me) mislocated the treble bridge by a considerable
amount backways.  Fortunately I could prove this with the
previous measurements so the rebuilder had to relocate the
bridge a bit.  Changing wire size would NOT have solved this
problem.

Another case to point: some pianos being made in a foreign
country had a perpetual treble string breakage problem.  It
was discovered that the bridges were located too far from
the capo bar so the tension was way past safe breaking %.
Changing string sizes would not have solved this problem
either.  The manufacturer had to change the design.

Those are the points I was trying to make.

Than.

		Newton