rib dimensions

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 07:03:23 -0500

>Another
>thought, while you're making ribs, consider making them so that the thickest
>part of the rib falls directly under the bridge body, not at the center of
>the rib.

I've heard this proposed a few times, and it sounds reasonable enough at
first blush, but answer me this. How is it possible with a constant radius
rib unless you taper the rib? A segment of a circle will always be farthest
from the chord defining the segment, at a point perpendicular to center of
the chord. In practice, it shouldn't be that big a deal though, because you
can move the load center easily enough with the feathering. It doesn't seem
to be that critical a thing.

Ron N