Hazelton pianos

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 06:42:57 -0500

>Tonight I appraised a Hazleton 5' ish grand.  I have not seen many of these
>creatures, but they all have the same characteristic dead bass.  I could
>attribute it to dead bass strings but they have both been "rebuilt" in the
>last 25 years so it doesn't appear to be dead wires, though it could be.  I
>hadn't given much thought to all of this until tonight when I was asked to
>re-rebuild one of these things and to try and straighten out several problems.
>
>Has anyone else dealt with this brand and this problem?  The low tenor has 6
>sets of wound strings on it.  There is no off set for this portion of the
>bridge, it just follows along the curve of the rest of the treble bridge.  My
>suspicions are we have a scale problem here.  What do you think?
>
>Andrew Remillard

Is the deadness limited to the bass, or all wound strings? Are low tenor
plain wire unisons dead too (weeding out bad bass strings)? Even a really
bad string scale will make noise, so I'd assume it's not a scaling problem.
By the way, "dead" covers a lot of subjective territory here. Maybe you
could define "dead". Is the sound muffled, with little sustain, muffled,
with long sustain, not particularly muffled, with short sustain, ???

Ron N