Maximum tension

Sun, 21 May 2000 21:05:18 -0700

Beg to differ...

Using the published specifications of a modern music wire of a diameter that
would be typically used in the highest 4 to 6 treble unisons, such as Mapes
'International Gold,' #13 wire has a diameter of 0.785 mm, or 0.031" --
using the U.S. wire gage -- and a breaking point of approximately 135 kgf
(or approx. 295 lbs) of tension.  This specification is an average derived
by stretching a number of samples to their breaking point and averaging the
results together.  Various individual string samples will break at tensions
just a bit lower than this, others somewhat higher.

The commonly accepted maximum upper tension limit for this wire would be 70%
of this average figure, or about 94.5 kgf (206 lbs).  This is considerably
higher than the figures commonly derived by calculation using the various
formulas cited for this purpose.

I should point out that designing a scale to 70% of the breaking strength
would leave very little tolerance for error.  If the bridge is off by just a
bit, or if a tuner came along who believed in lots of stretch, the wire will
probably be over-stretched and there will probably be a premature failure.

As to what pitch this would be depends entirely on the speaking length of
the wire.  At 54.0 mm, C-88 will have a tension of 79.5 kgf (175 lbs),
assuming no stretch to the tuning.  By my calculation this works out to
about 59% of the average breaking strength -- a figure I consider to be
safe.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder