Sluggish keys

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 May 2000 08:43:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/00 7:30:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
jfryett@minot.ndak.net writes:

<< Dear List,

 Today I was tuning a 1941 Haddorff and noticed that the keys were quite
 sluggish when the sustain pedal was used.  The keys seemed normal without
 the use of the sustain.  I also remember this happening in other pianos.
 What causes this and what is the fix?

 Thanks,

 Jere Fryett
 PTG Associate >>

Most likely the wippen flanges are sluggish. It could also be tight key
bushings.

First try easing the keys. If that doesn't solve the problem, pull the
action, and do something to free up the wippen flanges. There are several
things that can be done.

1. Use Protec or other lubricant to lubricate the center pins. Put he action
on it's side, and drop the lubricant on each flange. Repeat with the action
turned on its other end.
2. Clean out the bushing cloth. I do this by taking a center pin remover, and
carefully pushing the center pin out of the flange so that the other side is
just barely free of the flange. Ream out the open side. Push the center pin
back, and do the other side. In addition to reaming the bushing cloth, you
might want to also put a drop of Protec in the hole.
3. Repin all the wippens flanges.
4. Rebsuh and repin all the wippen flanges. Before you go to that trouble, I
would seriously consider replacing all the flanges.

You don't think it was going to be easy, did you?

Good luck

Willem