45 min tunings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 20 May 2000 22:55:48 -0500

Phil,

> I think this is true, but if it is possible to do the same level of work
in
> half the time, then that means mo money (and mo free time).  :-)

<<John, it is my suggestion to you that you be careful with this line of
thinking..it is my opinion that you do not want the customer to ever feel
short-changed in any way..even if it takes you 35 minutes to tune the piano,
spend some time with the regulation - clean the keys - touch-up a spot here
and
there..NO, I am NOT advocating giving away the farm - I am offering
suggestions
to help with the perception that it takes xx amount of time to 'tune'..those
that
see you, as a technician, caring for their instrument more than they do(in
many
cases) will be the first people who will call you back to service their
piano or
will be the first to ok your suggestion to them that it is time to  service
their
piano again or will be the first people to refer your services to their
friends.>>

A very good suggestion!  I have begun to vacuum the piano and clean keytops
as part of my "normal" service, and do some regulation as necessary. Thanks
for the reminder about how the customer will feel, because if they feel like
they are being overcharged because tuning takes only 45 minutes, then they
will likely get someone else. It is often the little things (like keytop
cleaning) that can set us apart from others.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS