The best and the richest

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 May 2000 22:44:48 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/2000 9:15:35 PM, Brian wrote:

<<But I am very interested in those who have

achieved / are achieving the upper end of both the technical and financial

within the piano industry.

Seriously, I don't know how to even ask, but what might be some of the keys

to achieving BOTH, and  AT THE SAME TIME?>>

Brian;
 While there is MUCH more than a single kernel of truth in what our beloved
Institute Director wrote there are also some caveats. :-)
  First is that 'His Instituteness' is hyping the the Convention....as he
should be and he is doing a masterful job..wouldn't you say? :-)
  Second is the fact that 'most' of people attending the Convention, for the
second time, or more, realize that it is much more of an 'investment' than an
expense.
  Third is the fact that a goodly portion of those attending are teaching,
have taught, or will be teaching in the future.

 So the Institute tends to draw those who are willing to share their
knowledge and those who care enough and know enough to seek that knowledge.
Within this grouping you will find some of the 'best' techs and some of the
'most sucessful' techs from a monetary point of view. Percentagewise it
probably is as His Instituteness allowed, i.e., "technicians who attend the

Annual consistently rank in the top tier both technically and financially."

 It is a rare thing indeed to find a 'single' tech who matches both of these
criteria as it is hard to do with a one person operation.  The old saw about
making more money with your brain than with your back applies to us tech
types too.  For those who branch out into having employees and/or have
constant input from other tech types AND are astute business persons will do
very well financially. If they were superior techs to begin with..... they
will still be...... even if all the work done in their shop is not done by
them personally.

 A lot also depends on your criteria for "success".  With a single person
shop/tuning business there is a practical interface between consistent
quality work and income.......there is just so much that a single person can
do alone. While it is very possible to earn a verrrry comfortable living
with extras for retirement, etc., getting rich probably ain't in the cards.
Doing work that is ...well let's just say 'less than acceptable'......
doesn't raise the upper earning limit very far and 'generally' can not be
sustained in one location for very long periods of time.

 I personally wouldn't call someone who earned 200,000 a year, tuning pianos
for five years, and then was burnt out, a success....oh perhaps monetarily
successful but not in life.
But there are all types, thank goodness.

 The "key", in my opinion, is to decide what you want from life and if it can
be had tuning pianos great!........... and if not......... then something
else will have to be worked out. So in final analyisis the answer to this
question:
 "keys to achieving BOTH, and  AT THE SAME TIME?".......... depends solely on
you.
My view.
 Jim Bryant (FL)